On Friday 8 November 2013 The Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy of the European Commission and the Flemish Government invited you to discuss the new growth opportunities and transformation powers of regional smart specialisation, in particular in view of the multi-level governance challenges of the European growth and re-industrialisation agendas.
Decision-makers, movers and shakers on smart specialisation
This high-level conference kicked off with a power broker session, moderated by Ann Mettler of the Lisbon Council bringing together key European decision-makers, movers and shakers:
- Danuta Hübner, Chair of the Committee on Regional Development of the European Parliament
- Herman Van Rompuy, President of the European Council;
- Máire Geoghegan-Quinn, European Commissioner for Research and Innovation;
- Johannes Hahn, European Commissioner for Regional and Urban Policy;
- Kris Peeters, Minister-President of Flanders;
- Lambert Van Nistelrooij, Member of European Parliament;
- Walter Deffaa, Director-General of Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy
- John Bensted-Smith, Director of the JRC-IPTS
- Lauro Panella, European Commission, Member of Cabinet of Vice-President Tajani
- Markku Markkula, Member Committee of the Regions
- Dominique Foray, Member of the Expert commission on Research and Innovation of the Federal Government of Germany
Matching regional strategies in Europe
The afternoon session 'Matching strategies for common goals' aimed to stimulate alignment of regional and European innovation roadmaps, investments and cluster strategies in four domains.
- Presentations of the workshops
- Watch the morning conference again on http://goo.gl/DDXRDR
- Press Release "Mobilising innovation potential for growth: Commissioner Hahn calls on EU regions to act"
- Video "The Kingdom of Smart"
- Videos: Examples of Smart Specialisation strategies in Europe
For questions, please contact: